Terri’s Prayer Book Club
I happen to be one of “those” people! You know the type — at the close of each year, we think back over the year coming to an end and take stock of where we are, where we would like to be and the areas we would like to grow in the coming year. Then we begin to make resolutions!
One of my resolutions for 2022 has been a year-long focus on growing in prayer, and I invite you to join me in this journey to grow in our prayer life. One way to help us to grow in our prayer life is to spend time reading from wonderfully-gifted prayer warriors and allowing their wisdom to teach us and inspire us. And that is why I introduced Terri’s Prayer Book Club.
Every month I recommend a specific book about prayer. Some of the books are recently written, and others are by saints who have long since passed away. If you have a favorite book you’d like us to read, please feel free to send a suggestion. I have a stack of books sitting on my shelf that I am considering but am certainly open to suggestions.
At the end of each month, you’re welcome to get together with other book readers for a Zoom chat to share what we found helpful and how our prayer life is growing. Registration is not required, but if you register to be a part of the prayer reading group, you will receive periodic emails highlighting what we are reading.
Read all the recommended books, or read just one — it’s totally up to you. And invite others, whether they are a part of our church or community or in another church or another community. We are the body of Christ, regardless of where we live and worship.
Previous Book Selections
- January: “How to Pray: A Simple Guide for Normal People,” by Pete Greig
- February: “Kneeling with the Giants,” by Gary Neal Hansen
- March/April: “God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer,” by Pete Greig
- May: “The Practice of the Presence of God,” by Brother Lawrence
- June: “Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home,” by Richard J. Foster
- July: “A Diary of Private Prayer” by John Baillie
- August: “The Lord’s Prayer: A Guide to Praying to Our Father” by Wesley Hill